Sep 26, 2003

For Pete’s sake... I fucked a pool boy in a cab!

— Christine

Years back, I hung around with this woman. She had long, black curly hair, a compelling smile and a twinkle in her eye. She was the kind of person that could walk into a place (bar, party, restaurant what have you) a stranger and leave with everyone thinking she was their best friend.

Never had anything romantic going on with her, just a fellow traveler on the journey through life. There was this brief three or four month period where I spent a lot of late nights, out and about in the city - I even used to carry a change of clothes in the trunk of my car so I wouldn’t look sloppy on those days after those long nights – she was my partner in crime.

I can’t do that forever, certainly not these days. It was fun though, while it lasted.

I’m sure they’ll be another period of something like that in my life - I don’t know why but I got to thinking of this force of nature the other day. The problem was she could be as equally a destructive force as she could a good force. It was how she lived her life, bouncing from one situation to the next, never staying long in one spot and generally moving on after overstaying her welcome.

One day not too long ago (although now that I think of it, it has to be about two years now), I was walking with Sung on lunch around Union Square when I heard my name called. It was my tornado, still as glorious as ever. Sad thing is, nothing had really changed – she was still jumping from disaster to disaster.

A mutual friend always asks after her, we’re both curious and worried at the same time but, being around her can be like flying to close to the sun.

No comments: